Monday, February 6, 2012

BYU Mint Brownies


At Brigham Young University (my alma mata') I fell in love with these little devils! The mint to chocolate ratio was perfect and the brownies were fudgy and dense...none of this "cake" brownie stuff.   I actually grew famous among our friends for loving them.  If some one attended a BYU catered event they would inevitably bring one of these babies home for me.  After BYU we moved to Cambridge, MA so my husbandito could attend law school. Which meant no more mint brownies :(  One Christmas break, however, my sister-in-law flew from Provo (home of BYU) and brought me...you guessed it...a whole plate full of my beloved brownies! It was then and there that I decided I could not go through my life waiting and wondering when I would be able to indulge in one of my favorite treats. So, after much searching, I came across a recipe for that claimed to be THE brownie.  This is my variation of it:


BYU MINT BROWNIES
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
2 Tbs. water
2 large eggs
2 teas. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/4 teas. salt
PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan. COMBINE granulated sugar, butter and water in large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; stir into sugar mixture. Spread into prepared baking pan. BAKE for 18 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.  Spread mint frosting (see below) on top and allow to set up.  Next spread on the chocolate topping (see below) and chill until set.

Mint Frosting:
5 Tbs. softened butter
dash of salt
3 Tbs. milk
1 Tbs. light corn syrup
2 1/3 c. powdered sugar
½ teas. mint extract
green food coloring

Blend butter, one cup of powdered sugar, mint extract and corn syrup until well combined. Add the rest of the powdered sugar alternating with the milk until creamy.  Tint with green food coloring if desired. 

Chocolate Topping:

6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 Tbs. butter

Melt chocolate chips and butter and mix until smooth in a double broiler or in the microwave.
 


1 comment:

  1. Can you bring me some of those???? Cuz I don't have time to make them and I NEED some!!!!

    ReplyDelete